This post is part of our pre-trip planning for our big trip in Fall 2022. HERE IS OUR POST-TRIP RETROSPECTIVE!
We are freshly home from our last trip and are itching to get back out there, so we’re thrilled to be planning a trip out west for this fall! No offense, East Coast. We started with an itinerary based on our original plan last time we did a big trip out west in 2020; that plan morphed as we traveled due to wildfires, which will likely happen again to some degree this year. Covid also affected our plans in 2020, with the biggest wrench in our plans thrown by Canada, who didn’t want us to visit. The east side of Glacier National Park was also closed due to Covid. So guess where we’re going this fall? Yep, East Glacier and Canada!
And we’ll go to some other awesome places too. This is the general itinerary, which I’m sure will change as we starting booking campgrounds and run into seasonal closures and lack of campground vacancy:
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park in OH
- Indiana Dunes National Park
- Making our way to Fargo for visit #2, via WI and MN
- Theodore Roosevelt National Park for visit #2
- The eastern side of Glacier National Park (we’ve only seen the western side)
- Waterton Lakes National Park in Canada
- Banff National Park in Canada
- Sandpoint, ID for visit #2
- Mt Rainier National Park in WA, weather permitting
- Bend, OR
- Crater Lake National Park in OR, weather permitting
- Boise, ID
- Ketchum, ID for visit #2 as we cross through Idaho
- Jackson WY and Grand Teton National Park for visit #2
- Park City, UT for visit #3
- Dinosaur National Monument in UT and CO
- A collection of ski towns in CO for hiking: Steamboat Springs, Vail, Aspen
- Springfield, MO, to visit a brewery
- Nashville and Asheville for visits #6 and #12 respectively, always favorite stops on our way home from out West
It’s an ambitious itinerary, but we’re trying to space out the long driving days and not rush through all the stops. Note that there’s no southern Utah or Arizona in there, which are our favorite Airstreaming destinations. We’re trying to mix it up and hit some new places.
As always, if you have opinions on our targeted destinations, or if we’re missing important stops in the general area of the above locations, please let us know in the comments!